Unit 1: Required
Materials We Provide
|Lesson||(Beginner) Part 1: Data Types||Part One|
|Lesson||(Intermediate) Part 2: Control Flow||Part Two|
|Practice||Practice: Part 1: Data Types||here|
|Practice: Part 2: Functions||here|
|(Intermediate, Bonus) Practice: IMDB Intro Lab||here|
|Solutions||Sample Solutions for Blanked Out Lesson Demo||Data Types|
|Sample Solutions: Part 1, Practice||Practice: Data Types|
|Sample Solutions: Part 2, Practice||Practice: Functions|
|Sample Solutions: Bonus Lab||IMDB Lab|
|Source Materials||Original files used to create this lesson||Here|
By the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
Part 1: Python Data Types
- Discuss Python as a programming language.
- Define integers, strings, tuples, lists, and dictionaries.
- Demonstrate arithmetic operations and string operations.
- Demonstrate variable assignment.
Part 2: Python Iteration, Control Flows, and Functions
Pythoncontrol flow and conditional programming.
whileloops to iterate through data structures.
if, elseconditional statements.
- Create functions to perform repetitive actions.
- Demonstrate error handling using
Pythoncontrol flow and functions to help us parse, clean, edit and analyze data sets.
Before this lesson(s), students should already be able to:
- Recall and define common Python data types.
Instructor Note: This material may be challenging to get through if students are new to programming. Expect students to struggle with for loops and functions — you likely will have to do these exercises as a code-along. If time is left over, there is practice on the Coffee Preferences data set. If not, students can use it for more practice at home.
Part 1 : Python Data Types (90 min)
- Why Python? (5 min)
- Introduction to Data Types (10 min)
- Jupyter Notebook (5 min)
- Python Variables (5 min)
- Operators (10 min)
- Integers and Floats (5 min)
- Strings (10 min)
- Lists (10 min)
- Tuples (5 min)
- Dictionaries (10 min)
- Importing Packages and Documentation (5 min)
- Practice With a Partner (10 min)
Part 2 : Python Iterations, Control Flow, and Functions (80 min)
- If... Else Statements (10 min)
- Iterating With For Loops (30 min — consider mostly doing as a code-along)
- Functions (30 min — consider mostly doing as a code-along)
- While Loops (10 min)
- Practice control flow on Coffee Preference data set (if time remains, otherwise practice at home)
For more information on this topic, check out the following resources: